IZITEQ conducted a survey with existing Complete Solution Providers (60+ companies). There are some similarities between all these companies:
- Absence of business stratification. At the moment, these companies have to deliver the whole value chain: application (and in some cases hardware), content, and sales.
- There is a very limited amount of professional quality multimedia content, which is very expensive in production. As these companies are limited in resources, it is difficult for them to create rich content especially designed for MTG. Absence of proper multimedia content enriched with additional data leads to low quality of available solutions.
- In most cases, content is bound to specific applications meaning it cannot be sold separately and cannot be played by other apps.
- In some cases content is independent from the app and delivered or sold as independent mp3 files without any additional information such as GPS coordinates, triggering zones etc. It is not comfortable for the travelers as they have to locate the relevant content for each Tourist Attraction themselves. This approach doesn’t use available technologies such as GPS, compass etc.
- Existing players are too localized but tourism is international. Their solutions are not always compatible with huge variety of mobile devices and apps. Also it is difficult for small companies to sell stories globally. Being too localized can limit possible revenue, and accordingly, growth.
These bindings and limitations make current products unattractive for end users. Low popularity leads to small revenue, and consequentially it prevents sustainable growth of this market.
IZITEQ believes that the creation and use of a common set of standards will resolve all these issues and within a short time it will deliver convenient, easy to use Mobile Traveler Guides to end users. At this point, the market acceptance barrier will be passed and give much needed boost to the development of the market providing stakeholders with better business opportunities.